Friday 6 August 2010

Singers get on a roll

Olivia Wakem has won a role in the New Zealand version of roller-skate musical Starlight Express, despite never having skated in her life.

The Christchurch resident tried roller skates for the first time recently, but had to crawl up her own driveway to get back home.

Wakem is one of 18 Kiwi performers chosen for the 28-strong cast that will tour the country from July. The show, which has run for decades in theatres across the world, will run for just over a week at the Westpac Arena from July 11.

The performers wear roller skates for the whole show as they play toy trains that come to life in a child's dream. The cast will rehearse for 10 weeks, including four weeks intensive roller-skate training.

Wakem, who will play Volta, said she had not had much success on roller skates so far. "I have never skated in my life before and I cannot skate to save myself. I will probably be the one being taken out in a stretcher," she joked. "My flatmate walked me down the drive and I was holding onto his arm. He told me to skate back down the drive to him, but I couldn't and crawled back on my hands and knees."

Christchurch performer Kyle Chuen will play Caboose and has had slightly more experience on wheels. "I have not done it since I was very young," he said. Chuen has struggled to find a pair of practice skates. "It is really hard to find men's skates in New Zealand. I have been trying."

The New Zealand tour begins in Wellington TSB Arena from July 1 and will move to Auckland after Christchurch.

John Kirk-Anderson/The Press
SKATING ROLES: Olivia Wakem and Kyle Chuen have landed parts in Starlight Express.

The Press
Last updated 23:53 16/01/2009

No comments: