Tuesday 3 August 2010

Girls on a roll with destruction derby

Roller derby is described as a mix of speed-skating and rugby, but without the ball. And it's the latest sporting craze to hit the streets of Bristol.

The full-contact, woman-only sport was first popular in the 1930s and has undergone many transformations since then. It has recently seen international revival thanks to Drew Barrymore's directional debut Whip it!. Bristol roller derby, whose league name is the Bristol Harbour Harlots, was started earlier this year by New Zealand-born Anna Wong.

Anna, 27, from Stokes Croft, says: "I found out about derby in 2006 when I was invited to a fundraiser in my hometown of Auckland and decided to give it a go. I've been playing ever since but took a bit of a hiatus when I moved to the UK and had no one to skate with. I really wanted to start skating again and there was definitely a demand for derby in Bristol, but no one was sure what to do about it. When I realised that I might be the only roller girl in town, I knew I had to step up to really make it happen."

The group has been together for almost three months now and has more than 50 regular members, with more turning up at each training session.
Click here for more

Roller derby consists of two teams skating around an oval track with one player "the jammer" trying to lap the opposing team, and "the blockers" who can stop them using almost any means necessary. Injury is highly likely even with full protective gear, but bruises and "rink rash" are worn with pride.

Players also take on alter egos and pseudonym names such as Anna Mocity and BootyVicious. Anna, whose skating name is Wonton Destruction, says: "Roller derby has all the kitsch sex appeal of a burlesque act with the same fierce athleticism of any contact sport. People either want to see it or be part of it.

"I've been so amazed at how popular it's been, especially considering that most of our skaters had never met before they started training. I think part of the appeal is that it is incredibly sociable and open to everyone – no matter what size, shape, fitness level or background."

And it shows. Team members range from 18 to 40 with everyone from teachers to trainee midwives and PR executives to paramedics. Many of the girls who play roller derby see it as a way to leave their real lives behind. They fully embrace the alter ego side of the sport and dress the part with fishnets and raunchy outfits.

So why did I get involved in Bristol roller derby? As a 25-year-old who is fairly new to Bristol, where I work as a PR executive in Filton, it just seemed a great way to meet people. And it's a lot more fun than the gym.

My parents and boyfriend were shocked when I told them as they've always known me as being clumsy and they were worried about me getting injured.

Most people react positively though, but you do get some strange looks from those who don't understand the sport and thinks it's like a roller disco.

One of my team mates, Maria Drown, 35, a part-time youth worker from Thornbury, is a mum of three who gave up her knitting class to join the league. She said "Derby is a great way to release the stress of life.

"The whole package of roller derby is exciting; thinking up team names, outfits, skating in the pack, the whole culture that surrounds it. It's one of the first times I've felt I really fit in."

Gabriella de Luca, 28, a secondary teacher from Bedminster, agrees: "I wanted to do something indie, outrageous and social and I wanted something very different to my day job. My colleagues know about my new hobby but I haven't mentioned it to the students yet.

"Ultimately, being a teacher is a professional role that I'm able to fulfil, whereas being in the roller derby team is more of an extension of who I actually am outside of school – and I am as proud of that as I am of my academic and career achievements."

With more players signing up each week the craze doesn't look like its going to stop any time soon. The sky's the limit according to Anna, who says: "We're getting ready for our first challenge bout in December but beyond that, who knows?"

Bristol Roller Derby practice is every week at St Paul's Sports Centre, Newfoundland Road. For more information email the group bristolrollerderby @googlemail.com.

http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/news/Girls-roll-destruction-derby/article-2478899-detail/article.html

No comments: