Saturday 15 December 2007

:02AM Wednesday December 12, 2007
By Jim Eagles

I presume the view of Auckland from the top of Sky Tower was stunning. The photos certainly suggest it was. But I was too scared to look.

Instead I was studying the fragile-looking metal grille under my feet, the one making up the 1.2m-wide circular walkway that now runs all the way around the tower 192m up, wondering if it really would take my weight.

The experience wasn't helped by the fact that through the holes in the grill I could see tiny cars and ant-sized people moving around on the street way, way below.

I was also focussing very hard on retaining my balance and trying to tell myself how easy it would be to walk a 1.2m-wide path at ground level.

It was a stunning day, with almost no wind, but it still seemed as though the tower was swaying around ... or maybe it was just that my knees were shaking.

Welcome to SkyWalk, Auckland's latest terrortraction, which officially opened on Saturday as part of the tower's 10th birthday celebrations.

No comments: