Saturday 17 May 2008

8:17AM Thursday May 15, 2008

Your Views

Elton John's skill as a performer is that he manages to deliver an unpredictable and diverse show, while leaving the crowd in want of nothing.

This week he played at Auckland's the Vector Arena. Here is the latest of Your Reviews:


Helene Roberts (Birkenhead)

What a brilliant event! Last night was the 5th Elton John concert I have attended, and as usual, he was purely brilliant. I could not sit still. From the moment he came out I was either on the edge of my seat dancing, or standing up and moving as my body saw fit to the music, singing along to every song. Eventually everyone was up and dancing and you could see Elton feed off the energy of the crowd.

His voice has not faded over the years. He may not be able to reach all the high notes, but his voice is as powerful and soulful as ever, blowing my mind every time I hear it live.

As the previous reviewer said, there weren't many twenty somethings drunk. In fact from where I was sitting, it was the older crowd that was having a grand old time with the alcohol, including the lady sitting next to me who was slurring all the words as she sang! It didn't matter, she was enjoying herself and that is what it's all about. I am one such twenty-something who was not drunk 'Elton's music gets me on a musical high which is better than any alcohol!

For all those that didn't attend and are reading this, trust us (those who attended)


McManus (Balmoral)

I have not been to a concert since Cher in 2005 and never to the Vector Arena until last night, but wow was it worth going. Elton was electrifying and did not disappoint. We were fortunate to only be 20 rows from the front and it was great to see the queen of England in all his regal majesty. Despite the review I love the extended jam of Rocket Man and the longer versions of most of his 70s crowd pleasers, it sounds so much better than it would on an album, and Elton's voice and intense honky tonk piano skills ensured the songs sounded as fresh as ever. We may have not been dancing at the start but we were stamping along to the beat and by the time Philadelphia Freedom and Saturday night came on the entire floor was in movement. There were a lot of die hard fans there and the atmosphere was amazing, very few drunken twentysomething, but mostly middle class people from their 30s to their 70s, my companion is 67 and he was dancing like an excited teenager. Besides Elton his band was amazing especially Davey Johnstone who played no less than six different guitars and a banjo. This is not ego, this is pure music, Elton looked and sounded fantastic, a great night. Thanks Sir Elton!

No comments: