Saturday 14 July 2007

Children of the 50s, 60s, 70s,

we would be in class and someone would be called to go to the murder house - it was awful - I still get palpatations when I have to go to the dentist. No injections back then, just slow drilling and pain!!!
The Murder House" it sounds like a Stephen King title lol but yeah, omgosh it was sooo terrifying sitting in class knowing that when your poor classmate came back from t.m.h. it would be YOUR TURN! It was all in alphabetical order so we all knew when we'd have to go. And the waiting.... waiting... waiting... and then in walks the classmate and looks in your direction.... ooohhhh I'm surprised we all don't have heart conditions from the trauma... ;)
Hated it. Had one HUGE fat dental nurse that kept screaming at me to open my mouth wider, it was as wide as I could get it & was already sore. Just cos her fat fingers wouldn't fit in it.I actually had to have four teeth out top & bottom as my jaw is too small to hold the normal amount of teeth, but that's another story & dentist. waving & holding out hand for a TT2*.
I was born in the 60s hated school, especially the dental nurses. Im sure they just drilled our teeth for the fun of it.. half the fillings I have now probably were never necessary. My children have 1 or 2 max. Yes it was a lot safer back then on the streets, used to bus into the city and walk home after work from the bus stop.. wouldn't do that now.
anything phsycodelic and hotpants and trouser suits and muslin dresses and pink mens shirts and flowery boys boardshorts.
at the dairy they could sell you 3lb bags of sugar on a weekend but weren't allowed to sell 6lb bags.
I was a child of the 40's and I can remember the unsalted potato chips which had a small bag of salt enclosed, plus the stiff petticoats which my Mum always had starched for the big Sat. night dances. Anyone here from Hamilton where I grew up? Remember the Starlight Ballroom in Htn and the Teen-a-rama Rock 'n'Roll dances?
friend of my Dad's worked in a clothes shop and gave my sister & I a paper dress each. Does anyone else remember them? You could just cut them to length. Ours were striped across ways in colours of yellows & orange. Yuk, hated mine so never wore it. Didn't like the person who gave them to us either.
40 years ago today..... Decimal currency changeover. Who remembers this ditty? One and two pence stay in line on DC day, drop one down from three to nine on DC day, ten to twelve you drop down two, conversion's easy when you do, you'll be set for DC day. The 10th of July thissss yeeeaarrr!
There must have been different songs in different areas as the one I remember went like this. *One a penny, one cent, two a penny two cents, three a penny, two cents too. Four a penny, three cents, five a penny five cents, six a penny, five cents too.* Can't remember any more of it.
Our netball coach was named Fred, and we'd sing this song on the bus trip...Seven little girls, sitting in the back seat kissing and hugging with Fred. Hard case cos he was old and wrinkly. I'm sure he lapped it up though lol
was always sent to the dairy to buy Dad's tobacco & tissues. He got, "a packet of Grey's Fine Cut and a double book of yellow tissues." I use to run all the way saying that over & over so I would get it right at the shop.On Saturday nights, Nana & I would go to the dairy where Nana would get the Saturday Star Sports paper & a chocolate covered bar & I would have a bag of popcorn and a Chokito[spn] bar.I never ate the middle out of the bread but did nibble the corners off.*
remember, My parents giving my-self and my younger siblings castor oil on a Saturday, then mum would give us a hot cup of tea after-wards to wash it down. I hated that crap but my brother loved it. I remember we had to have black molasses too, once again my brother loved it and my sisters and my-self hated it. Our parents said we had to have it clean us out, so that our blood wouldn't be dirty, lol, I'm cracking up to my-self writing this.
Yep, we had to save to buy things we wanted, or did without. Now kids seem to think anything they get was theirs by right and a lot of what they get they don't appreciate anyway. Not happy with one TV, they expect to have one of their own in their room. Glad my kids understood I couldn't afford to do things like that. Had to buy things like food first. lol.As the saying goes, the more you earn the more you spend. What happened to saving? Admit I can't save, even now. Something always crops up just as you think you are nearly on top of the bills.*Sigh.*
did you have school banking? We used to take our bank book and our 6d or 1s to school each week. One kid in our class used to bring 2/6d - we thought he was rich!! It was amazing how the money mounted up - we were taught to save from a very early age.
yeah the banking, we took our Post Office Savings book and 1/- to school on the Wednesday and got the book back on the friday. I think someone from the PO came to the school to pick up all the books. Did you have a Dr Barnadoes Box as well???
yes I remember the apples in tissue paper. Dad used to order cases of fruit from hawkes bay every year - they used to be sent by rail and every year without fail some of the fruit had been pinched.
grew up in Hawkes Bay (but I didn't pinch that fruit... honest ;)) I remember one year at primary school all our class went to a packing shed with our prewritten letters for overseas pen pals, that were packed with the fruit that were being sent overseas. Some of us, including me, got penpals out of that. What a novel idea.
I remember standing on the Duke Of Edinborough corner in front of a telephone box ( only because i was too small to climb on top ) and trying to look up at the balcony of the St George Hotel and watch the beatles
Mum used to make malt biscuits using maltexo. They were yum. Mum also used to make her own wholemeal bread when I was young and I had very healthy lunches for school. But I used to swap them for white bread with marmite and lettuce. I still like marmite and lettuce on white bread! I think we used to get malt bread years ago - does anybody remember that.

No comments: